My Trip to Ireland: Killarney

Tuesday, October 15, 2019


              Next up: the town of Killarney. Which I had never heard of before this trip. And I’m SO HAPPY I got to experience it. It might beat Dublin for my favorite place, but I’m not QUITE sure, since they are so different.


Killarney, Ireland

My dad rented a car. My dad drove the car. My dad was a hero for driving on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD. He had to get situated but he actually did a really good job.

But the roads are crazy. And by crazy, I mean that the roads are very rarely straight and if you get car sick or motion sick, you’re done for unless you have medication. I had no idea. And I get sick so easily.

From the car rental place to the next bed and breakfast that we were going to stay in, was about 3.5 hours. My sciatica doesn’t need to be mentioned much, but let me tell you, every time in the car, I HURT. 

After arriving into the cute town of Killarney, we got to our bed and breakfast called the Ardree. If anyone ever needs a place to stay in Killarney, oh BOY do I recommend the Ardree. The breakfast was amazing and it was so close to downtown.



(The view near our bed and breakfast!)


For dinner, we went to the Killarney Brewery. My grandpa and my dad (big beer drinkers) loved the craft beers there. I tried some of the beers but I stuck with carbonated lemonade. We then had wood fire pizza at the brewery. I got a pizza with artichokes, balsamic vinegar, onions, and cheese. They love their vinegar in Ireland. Malt vinegar is put on every table. I tasted it once and decided not to put it on my food...


Killarney’s downtown was full of shops, restaurants, hotels, and pubs. Lots of pubs. I was in my element. My mom and I had fun going through the gift shops and my dad and I scoped out pubs. We ended up in a pub called Courtney’s Bar. My mom ordered a Coca Cola and I ordered an apple cider called Rockshore (they didn’t have Orchard Thieves!). It was definitely a bar for Irish people because it was full of beautiful accents. We were told later it was a “fiercely local” pub.



(Downtown Killarney)



The next day after a wonderful sleep, we were off the the Ring of Kerry. According to Google’s professional explanation, “The Ring of Kerry is a scenic drive around the Iveragh Peninsula in southwest Ireland’s County Kerry. Its 179km-long, circular route takes in rugged and verdant coastal landscapes and rural seaside villages.” Pretty much, it’s a giant circle that takes you by the ocean and through cool scenic views of Ireland. 


“How long is this going to take, Dad?” I asked.

“I don’t know, about 4 hours?” My dad replied.


I was excited to see the country side more but NOT excited for more backseat sitting. It turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL route. I, of course, got very sick. I tossed my lunch (you know...what I mean...) in a sheep’s field because the roads are, once again, crazy zig-zags. I’ll post some pictures from the veiws!!


(Ring of Kerry views)


My dad and I were also obsessed with trying to find  Skellig Michael, which is a rocky island with a 7th century monastery. Why were we so adamant on seeing an island? Because one of the latest Star Wars movies was filmed there (we’re a big Star Wars family). We only really saw a blurry little blimp out on the sea, but hey! Still cool.



(Atlantic Ocean view)



I don’t remember much of that night, but my stomach was exhausted, I know that much.

Bright and early we were up again and it was time to tour the castles!


Ross Castle was first since it was close to our B&B. It was a 15th century castle. We didn’t pay to tour it so we just walked along the outside and took some pictures.



(Ross Castle)


 We went to the Muckross Abbey, which was kind of haunting because it was a broken down abbey with a huge (kind of creepy) cemetery in front and there was a chill in the air. You can hear the many “CLOMPS” of the horses of the commercial horse-drawn buggies they have everywhere. As my mom said it best: “It’s pretty spooky”.


(Muckross Abbey)


We then went to Torc Falls which was a hidden waterfall. So beautiful. I saw a path with stone steps so I thought it was a place to view the falls better. After walking at least 10 stories (some places with stones to walk on, some places with just dirt), I realized it was just a steep hiking trail. We were actually higher than the waterfall when I decided to stop and go back. The trees were in the way to actually see any water. If anyone thinks that path is worth it, my inhaler and I sincerely say it’s not...


(Torc Falls)


After that, we traveled about 2 hours to the Blarney Castle and Gardens. It was pretty expensive to get in, but it was pretty much worth it if you love nature and history. My whole family (including my mom and grandpa!) climbed the narrow stairs of the castle to go and see the ever famous Blarney Stone. I was shocked as to what it really looked liked. 



It was a blue slab of limestone UNDERNEATH the castle wall on the top story of the castle. To kiss it (like the legend says to do), you have to lay down, have a guy help you hold onto rails and you bend backwards upside down then quickly kiss it. It was...a lot of work. 

(Kissing the Blarney Stone!)

Someone in front of me asked 2 things to the guys in charge there: “How do they know it was this stone that was the legendary stone?” (It was the only blue limestone in the whole castle) and “When was the last time you cleaned the stone...” (20 minutes ago). 

I thank the lord that they cleaned the stone RIGHT before I was suppose to kiss it. Only my dad and I kissed it because it’s HARD to get to and my mom and grandpa would’ve hurt themselves. But don’t worry, they have a grate underneath in case you fall!


That night was our last night in Killarney so we went back to Courtney’s Bar and I had a pint (...or 3...) My mom asked for a cream soda, which no one there have ever heard of. So she got her regular Coke with ice. It was a really fun time that night. 





And that was Killarney and it’s adventures! Stay tuned for the last post of this series because I made a little video about Ireland that is SO CUTE (I promise).





Post a Comment