DIY Mood Board

Sunday, January 19, 2020






An ad popped up on Facebook for an event near me: "Attend a mood/vision board party! Pay $10 and bring supplies!" I thought $10 was a little steep but they DID say they would have snacks...


For those of you who don't know what a mood board is, it's a piece of cardboard or other such things and you stick on pictures and magazine cut outs on it to make it look pretty. Things you enjoy, like pictures of flowers, or a sticker of a smiley face. It's a collage, pretty much. Super simple thing to do yet very fun. I ALSO found out that you can be online mood boards but that's less fun!

I decided not to attend the party because it WAS kinda far for me and I wasn't a fan of going to a thing like that alone. 


My friend Lexi reached out to me a couple days later saying that it would be a fun time if we got together, drank some wine, and had our own mood board-making "party". I said yes right away! So I invited her over on a cold and snowy night and had a great time talking and pasting pictures. I wanted to do a simple step-by-step for those who have no idea how to make a mood board. 


Here we go!

Step 1: Supplies. I already had a square cardboard piece from something but Lexi needed to buy a "base" for her pictures. She chose a push pin board, which is a really good size. Then you need magazines, glue, tape, scissors and whatever you have lying around! I had some embellishments in my room so I included those in the pile of supplies. You can go to a craft store or even Target to get stuff! 



* We added a bottle of wine to our supplies list. This is not needed ;)







Step 2: Start Cutting. After I glued on a pretty background to my cardboard, I started flipping through magazines like crazy. I cut out anything that caught my attention. Lexi had a couple ideas what she wanted to put on her board because she was smart and thought of what goals she would like to achieve before we started. I, however, just winged it. I didn't have too many things, minimalism at it's finest, but I had things I liked. I started to rearrange them on my board. 




Step 3: Glue. I took a glue stick (you want the stick kind of glue, the liquid will be bumpy and ruin the pictures) and started gluing my pictures on. Lexi bought a lot of cute tape to add to the board so I used tape along with the glue to make it pop. She also bought me stickers that I started adding, too.


Step 4: Admire your work. Different people take different times in creating art. Lexi took a while; I took 15 minutes. And both of them turned into things we liked. At first, I kept saying mine looked like a 6 year old made it but I actually think it's cute now! Lexi got way more creative than me and her's is AWESOME. 


(Lexi's final board)



(My final board)

I chose a Little Women picture from the new movie because that movie made a real connection with me, I chose the phrase "grateful to be alone" because I need to practice more of being alone AND being grateful in my life, and I chose stickers of England because I'm going there this year! 

Lexi and I had a great time chatting, drinking sweet wine, and being all around creative. You don't even need a friend with you to make a mood board; making one alone is also really fun. 

Now, get some magazines, some cardboard, and start gluing! 

Post a Comment