Holiday Love Language

Sunday, November 29, 2020



 I was giving my friend/coworker/neighbor her poem that I wrote for her when I drank too many apple pie shots and she said something that stuck with me: "Gift giving in my love language.

Now, a love language is meant to find out what your partner likes and "creates a stronger bond in your relationship." 

But in this day and age, I feel like it's more than that now. A "love language" can also be about finding out how YOU show love and appreciation. 

But when my friend said that gift giving phrase, I was like "....holy cow? That's ME?! I show my love via gifts! How have I JUST realized that?!"

And let me tell you, I'm now way in a great financial place to be gifting so much. But it makes me FEEL GOOD! 

So I decided to write a post today to tell you guys what I do during the holiday season that can be much more than spending lots of money. Maybe give you some ideas on how to give back this time of year, or help someone out! I'm also hoping it'll spread some inspiration to do you're own thing and PLEASE tell me about it! I'd love to hear it! 


I always call this time of year the "giving season"  :) 

____

1) Deliveries. Now, if you have me on Facebook, you know I offered my favorite bar (Bikini Bottom Bar) some help. They are currently closed through Christmas via government orders and they're 12 (always super nice) employees are now jobless. I met up with the bar owner who told me that she was selling my FAVORITE drink ever, her homemade Apple Pie Shots, to raise money to help her employees. I wanted to help out ASAP. I thought "hey, what if I could pick up some jugs from her and deliver them to people who buy them in time for Thanksgiving? To help the bar and the out of work employees?" So after some talking and getting orders, I sold 15 jugs, $25 each and delivered them 3 days before Thanksgiving. It was actually way more stressful than I thought, but I did it out of the goodness of my own heart and I was also really happy for people to try my favorite (alcohol) drink :) 

SO, delivering something to someone who needs it would be 100% helpful! Ask someone if they need something from the store because you're close by or ask if they want a coffee because you're on your way to get one for yourself!

2) Christmas/holiday cards. Yes, I do pass out a lot of these during the holidays (and I start way too early, I'll admit) but you don't need to write 80 of them like I do! Sending some (or handing a card to someone) will really put a smile on people's faces, I promise. Some people even are shocked I create and write a note on every card I give. It makes it so much more personable to me, but even just sending a holiday card and signing your name is SO nice! I always hang up my cards I get during the holiday season, no matter what they say, because I feel so good that someone cares :) 

3) Donations. Okay, yes, this one you have to spend money on. BUT it's for a good cause! This year, I found out my old coworker's aunt and her kids were selling ADORABLE handmade ornaments to benefit the Ronald McDonald House, a great charity. I reached out to her aunt (whom I don't know), and told her I wanted 2 ornaments. She was so nice and thankful and it only cost me $10. My OTHER old coworker is hosting some kids for Christmas and needs money to buy them gifts. I donated $10 to those Christmas kiddos. You can also look for a Giving Tree, which I feel like are everywhere. Take a tag off the tree and buy the kids/family what's on the tag. Local churches always do those, and my mall even used to do it! Donating this season doesn't have to be much, but gosh, it sure makes you feel like you made a contribution!

4) Baking/cooking. This sounds kind of silly, I know. But when I can't afford too many material gifts, I love to bake holiday goodies. My specialty is chocolate dipped fortune cookies (it shows how easy it is to make and also how utterly bad at it I am....). But when I pass out my mint cookies or whatever plethora of things I've baked, people are always so happy. I cooked Fettuccini Alfredo recently for someone (it was my first time) and let me tell you, my recipients were VERY pleased. Food makes everyone joyful!

___

These are 4 main ones that I partake in (not including actual gifts!). I hope this sparks some inspiration in you to send a card to someone or pick up a coffee for a neighbor! 

Happy Giving Season, everyone!


 




Post a Comment