Review: Elgin B&C and The Green Read

Sunday, February 17, 2019



Another review! This time, they include books!

Elgin Books & Coffee 



Elgin, Illinois is a place I go to a lot even though I don’t live there. Many of my friends live there, though. I used to work in Elgin, too. And I just learned it has cute coffee shops. WHO KNEW?! ( I probably SHOULD have known, to be honest...) So I decided to go to one by myself after my doctor’s appointment one day. I was a little cautious at first because I hate driving in any downtown and this place was smack dab in the middle of downtown. I (luckily) found one spot left in the free parking lot, hopped out of the car, and headed to search this place out. It had a small door that said “please leave backpacks and big bags at the counter” and I immediately thought that was weird. Until I walked in. 

              It was a used book lovers dream. It was also a claustrophobic's worst nightmare. The entrance was a VERY small and short hallway with bookcases on either side. Keep walking in and there’s a small counter in front, an opening on your left with some tables, and to your right was just a hallway with books. I spied the menu behind the tiny counter and order a caramel apple cider. I really have no idea HOW any coffee machine would fit, but it did. Here’s a list of the craziness that I discovered (in a good way). I didn’t do a pros and cons with it, I just wanted to bullet point my musings for this!



* The caramel apple cider is better than Starbucks. How is it so good? Don’t ask me, I just know that I wanted to drink 80 more of them. 

* I don’t remember the amount I paid but I believe it was around $3 for a large. I just know that I was happy with the price!

* I couldn’t tell if the woman behind the counter was an employee or an owner, but she gave me an owner vibe. Whichever she was, she was extremely friendly and I gave her a good tip for treating me so well. (She also liked my purse which means her fashion taste is GREAT!)


*They had so many sections and genres of books, that I couldn’t keep up. They had history books of all different races, sports books, psychology books, and even a vampire horror section. 

* They ship books from Amazon, too! I’ll put the link below!

* Their seating inside kind of feels like a cafeteria but I really like it for some reason. They have an outdoor seating space too, but it’s closed right now because it’s 4 degrees outside....


* I really wouldn’t go too deep into the store if you don’t like small or tight spaces. It gets to be a maze in the back of the shop and it’s not some people’s forte.

* It’s the only business from the owners and they’ve had it since 2005 so supporting them is helping support small businesses!


This article here really showcases Elgin Books and Coffee so take a read if you'd like: XX

Follow On:



Location:
66 S. Grove Avenue
Elgin, IL 60120
____________________


The Green Read 


I was trying out a coffee shop with a friend and it was placed in a downtown area of the town, which means there are little shops all around. My friend and I left the coffee house and wandered the streets in the frigid cold. We passed a book store called The Green Read and went right in.

At first, I didn't really know what to do. It was an open (yet a little small) space with tables in the middle and bookcases running all along the sides. I then realized it was a used bookstore, which I love. A wonderful woman (who didn't have a name tag so I didn't get her name!) came out and welcomed us. Here's my bullet point list of what I learned (no 'pros and cons' for this one either!)





*This bookshop is run solely by volunteers. No one gets paid to work there!

* Here's what their "about" page on Facebook says: 

We are owned and operated by the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County. With our passion for environmental sustainability and reducing waste through reuse, we are excited for this venture sharing books and knowledge as well as creating a community space where all are welcome. We offer wifi and a cozy place to sit and chat (The Green Nook), as well as a huge selection of book genres. We look forward to having you!"

*They give their money they make to the Environmental Defenders of McHenry County, which I will post a link to below if you'd like to see what that means!

*I bought 2 books for $6! $3 for paperbacks and I was VERY happy. I got 2 fashion books. I went home, opened the first book and found out it was signed by the author! So cool! 

* You can trade in your used books to earn credit to buy other books at the store.





Follow On:
Facebook
Defender's Site

Location:
61 North Williams Street
Crystal Lake, Illinois



Post a Comment