Life Update: April 2020

Thursday, April 9, 2020





My last post on here was February 27th 2020 and I'm SORRY! I started a book blog (just a little side blog) and that's been taking up some time. But certain people have been asking how I've been recently and I'd like to address things and tell you ALL about me right now. 

March 2020 was the worst month for my family. Things going on with my grandma, my mom having bronchitis then tearing her meniscus (her knee, which she's not able to go to the doctor about because everything is closed), then the stupid virus, and THEN on March 31st, I got diagnosed with diabetes. 

I've been having symptoms for a while but then I started having really bad symptoms at work. I was getting dizzy and wanted to faint and get sick at the same time. I never told anyone at work because I have this thing about calling off work. I feel like my team needs me to work. It's weird but I never let on something was really wrong with me. I didn't even tell my mom until I was at the post office right before the quarantine started and my left palm went numb suddenly. 

I was pre-diabetic a couple years ago and my mom's side of the family has a lot of diabetes so I had an inkling on what was going on. I was peeing a lot. I was drinking so much water. I was getting headaches when I have only had a couple headaches in my entire life. My feet were numbing on and off for about 2 years. Then my hand. 

I drove home that day from the post office and sat in my driveway, googling things. I felt like I knew what I had. But I couldn't go to the doctor because of the virus. So when it came to March 31st at work, I finally told my boss I wasn't feeling well and I went by myself to immediate care.

The doctor there took some tests and told me "hey, we try not to send anyone to the ER because of the virus, but you NEED to go. Your blood sugar is way too high."

Long story short of the time in the ER, but I couldn't have my mom go with me (no visitors), I had blood tests, lots of finger pricks, and an IV that I cried at when it was put in. It was a mess. But then the results came in. The doctor there said I have diabetes but I need to keep tracking my blood sugar to make sure. 

I left, ate a Snickers bar that was in my purse, then set up an over the phone appointment with my primary doctor. I got some more tests done in the coming days. Lots of blood, lots of urine. 


I got some results back and my doctor was shocked. My blood sugar was astronomical, I had a crazy a1c level, high cholesterol, and my liver enzymes were so high that he told me "there is so much wrong". I have to go back in for more tests.

I was forced into having a dietitian. I have my first over the phone appointment a few days ago and I was nice and she was nice but I was over it. I am overweight. Losing weight is HARD. Especially since I'm on so many medication that makes me gain weight. I also don't stick to diets. 2 weeks max. I'm so picky with food that I don't even try. So, as you can tell, I was a little angry at all this. 

My feelings were and still ARE all over the place. I'm angry then sad then I pout then I'm angry again. People who don't have diabetes or haven't dealt with it don't understand how difficult it is. At least at first. It's a huge lifestyle change, especially for me. I don't want to go to work anymore because I know I'll be dizzy and sick every day until this is under control, which could take a whole year. I'm just in a rough place. I literally pouted because I couldn't have a flour tortilla the other day. 

I'm already tired of bland (healthy) food and it's only been a week. I want to cry writing this. As a person who is addicted to food, this is, as I keep saying, HARD

So, going through more tests and more time learning about my body and educating myself about food is in my future. 

I wanted to put some facts I learned from my dietitian though!! It's all a learning experience, I'm trying to remind myself that everyday. 

-64 oz of water a day is what you need to aim for 

-White bread spikes your blood sugar so high than an hour later, it crashes

-Aim for under 80 carbs a day at first 

-When you eat a carb, you need to follow it with a protein every time

- Light cheese is great for diabetics 


(I'm going to have weekly sessions with her so when I learn more, I would be happy to share it!)


Yep, that's my life right now. I would love to get back into writing but we'll see when I have time!
 

Post a Comment