My New Room

Thursday, February 27, 2020





I'm a hoarder. Kind of. Maybe? Probably. I keep a lot of things in my bedroom. I still live with my parents so my bedroom is all I have and I keep everything in there. It's not very big, no matter what pictures are shown of it. So my pack of STUFF just keeps piling up; on my ratty desk, on my floor, in the corners of my closet. I finally realized that I need a change and make everything different. Including painting my room and getting new furniture. My walls were painted (by only me) in 2012 and they were dark blue with a very bright British Flag on the accent wall. I did a pretty good job back then, but I remember absolutely nothing about doing it back then, so I was on my own...again. 


(This is a 'clean picture')



(You get the gist; I'm messy)



I wanted a more grown up room. More posh. I was known for my English room, but I feel like it wasn't ME anymore. I see all these girls on Instagram who have beautiful and simple rooms. I know I can never be a minimalist because of all my things and my love for hanging things on my walls, but I wanted to try. 


WHITE PAINT IT WAS! 

I had no idea what I was getting myself into...I really didn't.

Paint was so expensive that I paid over  $100 for 2 cans. I was shocked and kind of mad? AND THAT WAS JUST THE WHITE PRIMER! NOT THE PAINT! I got some tools like brushes and stuff that made my bank account cry a tiny bit. I brought the primer home and cleaned up my room and threw away SO much stuff. I went through my whole life it seemed like, throwing things out from middle school and putting so much in my "this needs to go in a garage sale" pile. It was as clean as I was going to get it. I pushed my bed and piled stuff onto it so I could paint a wall and had no idea where to start, so I went on taping the edges. Then I filled my tiny holes in my walls with white toothpaste (a Pinterest hack). DON'T DO IT! It left oil on my walls? I ended up using my dad's almost dried up spackle because it was better than the toothpaste "hack". 




(You can kind of see the oil spots in this picture)


I took a roller and slapped on some primer on my wall and told myself I couldn't go back now. Was I doing it right? Most likely not, but for one blue wall, it took 2 coats of primer because of the dark color. It was surreal to paint my flag wall because I couldn't undo it. A new time for me. I ended up sweating my butt off day after day, moving things around my room and painting my walls by myself. Friends wanted to help me paint, but my room was so small and I looked terrible that I told them I could do it myself. It took me a couple days to finish priming and I spent day to night in my room on my days off work getting paint all over my clothes. 







I went to the store to buy more paint and my money once again went down the drain...so sad. And then I painted one wall. And I was done. As in, I was fed up. 2 coats of white paint on one wall. I was aching and not having a good time anymore. The flag wall? A total of 5 coats! My arms felt like they were going to fall off and I didn't even THINK about painting the ceiling. It completely eluded my mind. So that was another thing to paint. 




My friend Ashley came over and helped me paint for a quick 2 days and it really helped. I thought it was never going to get done because I almost gave up. The worst part was that I kept ordering new furniture and had to keep the boxes they were in, in my room. Which took up so much more room. I was dumb.





But it got finished. Finally. FINALLY. It wasn't perfect in the least (especially the corners of the room) and the ceiling we DID give up on, so it looks like clouds instead of pure white. Which I kind of like. Ashley helped me build my furniture. And by 'helped', I mean she built it for me. Thanks, Ashley! I got a bed frame for the first time since I was young, an actual desk to put stuff on and a tall bookcase that I'm in love with. My color scheme is white, blush pink, and gold. I still have some finishing touches to do (repainting some other furniture and getting curtains) but I'm in love with my new room. 




In love. 



*After this last picture was taken, I DID get a white bed skirt. Thank the lord; it needed it*

Post a Comment