Interview with an Instagram Photographer

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Instagram is a funny thing. I wrote a post a while ago that I recently took down because it wasn't really ME. It was kind of negative and I was a little bitter about how I'm not pretty or skinny enough for Instagram. I didn't want my frame of mind to be deterred because of a darn post I wrote. 

But something's changed since that post. I've gotten a little more creative. 

And I've found a photographer.

A photographer that makes me look amazing. 

A photographer that has changed my LIFE. 




This is Anthony:





I met Anthony at work then learned we're pretty much neighbors. We hung out a little bit then I saw his Instagram page. It was beautiful. I really don't remember when we started shooting together, but he's been a DREAM. Don't believe me? Here are some pictures he's taken of me:




Now, I feel like I don't actually look like this. It's just Anthony's doing. 


I'm trying to get more creative and grow my Instagram because I would love a job in social media at some point, whether it be a manager or a promoter. I'm not sure yet, but I'm having fun playing around with pictures right now.



I thought it would be great to interview Anthony! He's smart, funny, and has such good insight (even when I go to him with friendship problems, I always end up saying "Anthony, you're right").

I asked him some questions and he answered! I hope you guys enjoy this interview!!

____



Anthony, I owe all my great pictures to you and your photographic eye. You make me look REAL nice and I'm always shocked. Where do you get inspiration from for your shoots? 

"Well, I actually started photography back in high school. I always knew I had an eye for pictures, and wanted to know more about the art form and what demographic for business. After I took some courses and did some of my own practice, I learned how color and composition fused well with each other. My inspiration kind of stemmed for my passion for pictures and the many things you can do in the world of editing and photo-taking. Then, I began to follow photographer like Jon Wong, Jerry Maestes, Brandon Woelfel, and so many others, and it led me to try it out as a bit of personal work, portfolio building, and freelance work."



There are always trends on Instagram: the flow-y skirt trend, the mirror trend, ect. Do you have a favorite trend?

"The mirror trend, actually, is very recent. It was interesting to see people take on how they used a reflective surface, or mirror as a main source of prop, and used it to create compositions depicting creativity, self worth, mental health awareness, or just to be performative/ part of the trend. It really was interesting to see everyone’s own spin. Another trend I also loved was from our Instagram KWEEN, Tezza Barton, #benditliketezza!"



Instagram is a business for a lot of people. I know you're a student right now but have you ever thought of using your creative mind and turn it into a business of some sort?

"Yes, I’m currently doing so actually. I used to do it as side hustle about a year or two ago, and then I took a break. Now I want to take it more seriously and get a new business license and further my creative content freelance work. I also am going to school for photography, social media, and business. So down the line, I'd either like to work for a big time studio, agency, or continue down the line of freelance and see where that takes me. I always enjoyed the many opportunities photography can give you and business as my right hand in this can truly get me in the right direction of having my own brand someday considering other passions I have in mind, or be just where my idols are now!"



(He's holding my book OMG!)


When I see your end photos, I'm always so jealous that I don't have even an inch of your talent! Do you have any tips for people who would like to take better Instagram pictures?

Yes, and thank you! I always gain inspo from looking at fellow content creators and other influencers. Although most of the time a picture of mine either comes from my own creative mind in the moment or I’ve remembered a really good composition I’ve seen before and put my own creative touch to it.

Some tips I would recommend would be, work with the camera you have now. For those just getting into photography, having the most expensive equipment and camera won’t make you a better photographer, but work with what you have, do some research, and practice makes perfect. Once you feel comfortable, it’s time to move a step up, and maybe look at some cheap camera bodies. Like a nice Nikon or Canon DSLR. For those that like to constantly update their 'gram feed, invest in a phone tripod or camera tripod. If you have a camera, some DSLR's have built in WiFi to help you take timed shots. Adjust angle and check how you want your picture to be. For phones, it’s not that much of a luxury, except having a tripod and a clicker will help you the same; just a bit more work.

Don’t be afraid to try new things & new poses. Photography, modeling, creative content causes you to think outside the box, and like I said, practice makes perfect. Gain inspo from those you look up to or constantly admire. Reach out to fellow creators and see how they’re doing or what they’re working on.

In the world of photography, I feel like the skies the limit. 

And on social, you get to show that off to the world.







____

Thank you SO much Anthony! You are a DREAM!

If you'd like to follow Anthony on his amazing social media:

















1 comment

  1. Another great blog post, so interesting! I wish I had Anthony's talent as well as your writing talent, my Etsy store would be amazing!! SB

    ReplyDelete